Reliable Measures of Public Opinion.
Some of the most reliable polling comes from the Gallup Poll. George Gallup is the father of modern day polling and measuring public opinion. His organization measures attitudes on nearly everything and provides much of it to the public for free. Check out Gallup’s News site, where it offers reports on its findings, then choose and read a poll summary and examine the accompanying poll. If you are struggling to find the polls on the website, go to the Polling Matters page. Then answer these questions:
1. What does the poll measure and when was it conducted?
2. What particular language is in the poll’s question(s)?
3. Did any examined sub-groups have a unique view on the topic?
4. What is the overall attitude revealed from the poll?
5. Why do you think so much news coverage is dedicated to polling in American politics?